1.02.2010

Craftacular Project: Super Easy Lamp

So to start things out, I thought I'd share this super duper easy lamp project. And while it's more of an idea for personalizing something already-made rather than a full-blown craft project, it's a nice (and cheap) way to make something cool a little bit cooler.

What you'll need:
- inexpensive paper floor lamp (I bought mine a couple of months ago at ikea for $7.99!) you could also just buy the lampshade if you already have an old lamp sitting around
- sharpie marker in desired color (I always think the simplicity of black makes the design pop)
- scrap of cardboard (to stop the ink from bleeding through both sides of the paper)

What to do:
- place the cardboard piece behind the side that you're drawing on
- start drawing! the shade that I used came folded up (which was convenient for drawing on), but if yours is already open, I find it's easiest to hold the shade and cardboard piece in one arm (like you're wearing the shade as a sleeve) and draw LIGHTLY with the other arm (the paper they use for these is usually really fragile, so be gentle) also, the sharpie does bleed a bit (I kind of dig the soft lines, but if it bothers you, feel free to use a nicer bleed-proof marker such as Prismacolor or Chartpak
- assess your fine drawing skills (or in my case, patience for simple shapes), and flip over to do the other side (just FYI, I only did two sides but by all means be ambitious and cover as much of the shade as you like)
- and fin! (with the lights off, ooooooh)

1 comment: